A fellow blogger and HU Alum, Shaka Shaw (shakashawshow.wordpress.com), had a rather interesting post recently, outlining what he considers the most important traits in a woman, or ‘Wifey Points’ as he calls them. This got me to thinking about what attributes make a man ‘Husband Material.’ It’s only fair that we (women) have our own list, right?
So now I present to you, my list of qualities that makes a man worth settling down for…..
1. Humor Me- I know that this may not be on the top of every woman’s list but I love to laugh and consequently can’t stand a man that lacks the ability to crack a joke, make a sly remark, or just keep the hell up. I’ve been blessed (or cursed depending on how you look at it) with a smart mouth and the keen ability bring a smile (or at least a smirk) to the faces of others with one gratuitously humorous remark. If I’m at a party cracking jokes and having a good time and you’re in the corner somewhere looking like you’d rather be at the doctor getting a prostate exam, it won’t work.
2. Fix my sh*t- There’s nothing sexier than a man that knows how to use a power tool. I’m not saying that you need to be the black Bob Villa but there’s something to be said about a man who can fix a broken shower curtain rod or install a ceiling fan. I know that these 2009 “educated” brothas out here are more apt to call a handyman then risk ruining their fresh manicures, but a man who can break out a cordless drill gets 1,000 hubby points in my book (extra credit for a man who can change the oil in my car).
3. Put me on- When we’re on the phone discussing what we’re gonna do for our first date and you suggest going to Lucky Strike and catching a movie, the odds are not in your favor. Dinner and a movie is SO 2001. I want to be put on to some new sh*t. Jazz at your favorite underground spot, an art exhibit in Anacostia, rock climbing, ice skating, SOMETHING. Either dudes have stopped trying or just don’t know any better. Either way, I’m over it. Can I be put on for once?
4. Music to my ears- This one is simple. If your favorite artists are Soldier Boy, MIMS, and O.J. da Juiceman, I probably won’t want to date you let alone marry you. My musical taste is pretty broad and it’s important that my husband’s IPOD contains more than just Lil Wayne mix tapes and DJ Khalid’s greatest hits. Every heard of J* Davey my brotha? Step your game up….
5. It’s 2009, dress accordingly- I’m not saying that I’m the black Posh Spice, but I like to look good. With that being said, there’s nothing worse than a man who still dresses like it’s 1999. Is that an ED Hardy T-shirt? Wide Legged jeans? Diesel Sneakers? Come on now. I don’t expect you to be Thomas Pink-ed or Purple Labled from head to toe but at least look like you’re dressing for this decade. And while we’re on the subject of clothes…..
6. Mix it up- There’s nothing more pretentious than a man that only wears one brand of clothing or doesn’t own a fresh pair of kicks. Yes, we are grown, but does that mean you have to wear loafers and a sport jacket to the grocery store? I like a man who can go from rocking an Armani suit one day to a Polo hoodie and a pair of Blazers the next. On the flip side, a man whose idea of dressing up is an Express button up and a pair of Kenneth Cole’s won’t be getting any points from me either.
7. Chivalry is NOT dead- Contrary to popular belief, women still appreciate a man with manners. Open the car door for me, pull out my seat at the restaurant, and pour my glass of wine first. Yes, I can do these things myself but I fully believe in a man and a woman playing their respective ‘roles.’ Unfortunately, chivalry has become a lost art in 2009. A man who still possesses these characteristics gets an extra 5,000 hubby points in my book.
8. Cook for me- Ok, ok. I know a lot of men do not possess the same prowess in the kitchen as most women but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. I thin k that in 2009, every man should have one go-to meal to ‘get the panties wet.’ Call your Mama for a recipe and practice! Even if it isn’t all that tasty, we’ll appreciate the effort.
9. Be secure with your sh*t! - Whether you’re a teacher with a second job at Macy’s or the CEO of your company, own it! There’s nothing worse than a man insecure with where he is in life. I know we can all stand to do better but as long as you’re working toward a goal, I can’t be mad. Just because you drive a Civic and I drive an Audi, it doesn’t mean I won’t give you a chance. But if you act like it’s a problem, it will be.
So now I present to you, my list of qualities that makes a man worth settling down for…..
1. Humor Me- I know that this may not be on the top of every woman’s list but I love to laugh and consequently can’t stand a man that lacks the ability to crack a joke, make a sly remark, or just keep the hell up. I’ve been blessed (or cursed depending on how you look at it) with a smart mouth and the keen ability bring a smile (or at least a smirk) to the faces of others with one gratuitously humorous remark. If I’m at a party cracking jokes and having a good time and you’re in the corner somewhere looking like you’d rather be at the doctor getting a prostate exam, it won’t work.
2. Fix my sh*t- There’s nothing sexier than a man that knows how to use a power tool. I’m not saying that you need to be the black Bob Villa but there’s something to be said about a man who can fix a broken shower curtain rod or install a ceiling fan. I know that these 2009 “educated” brothas out here are more apt to call a handyman then risk ruining their fresh manicures, but a man who can break out a cordless drill gets 1,000 hubby points in my book (extra credit for a man who can change the oil in my car).
3. Put me on- When we’re on the phone discussing what we’re gonna do for our first date and you suggest going to Lucky Strike and catching a movie, the odds are not in your favor. Dinner and a movie is SO 2001. I want to be put on to some new sh*t. Jazz at your favorite underground spot, an art exhibit in Anacostia, rock climbing, ice skating, SOMETHING. Either dudes have stopped trying or just don’t know any better. Either way, I’m over it. Can I be put on for once?
4. Music to my ears- This one is simple. If your favorite artists are Soldier Boy, MIMS, and O.J. da Juiceman, I probably won’t want to date you let alone marry you. My musical taste is pretty broad and it’s important that my husband’s IPOD contains more than just Lil Wayne mix tapes and DJ Khalid’s greatest hits. Every heard of J* Davey my brotha? Step your game up….
5. It’s 2009, dress accordingly- I’m not saying that I’m the black Posh Spice, but I like to look good. With that being said, there’s nothing worse than a man who still dresses like it’s 1999. Is that an ED Hardy T-shirt? Wide Legged jeans? Diesel Sneakers? Come on now. I don’t expect you to be Thomas Pink-ed or Purple Labled from head to toe but at least look like you’re dressing for this decade. And while we’re on the subject of clothes…..
6. Mix it up- There’s nothing more pretentious than a man that only wears one brand of clothing or doesn’t own a fresh pair of kicks. Yes, we are grown, but does that mean you have to wear loafers and a sport jacket to the grocery store? I like a man who can go from rocking an Armani suit one day to a Polo hoodie and a pair of Blazers the next. On the flip side, a man whose idea of dressing up is an Express button up and a pair of Kenneth Cole’s won’t be getting any points from me either.
7. Chivalry is NOT dead- Contrary to popular belief, women still appreciate a man with manners. Open the car door for me, pull out my seat at the restaurant, and pour my glass of wine first. Yes, I can do these things myself but I fully believe in a man and a woman playing their respective ‘roles.’ Unfortunately, chivalry has become a lost art in 2009. A man who still possesses these characteristics gets an extra 5,000 hubby points in my book.
8. Cook for me- Ok, ok. I know a lot of men do not possess the same prowess in the kitchen as most women but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. I thin k that in 2009, every man should have one go-to meal to ‘get the panties wet.’ Call your Mama for a recipe and practice! Even if it isn’t all that tasty, we’ll appreciate the effort.
9. Be secure with your sh*t! - Whether you’re a teacher with a second job at Macy’s or the CEO of your company, own it! There’s nothing worse than a man insecure with where he is in life. I know we can all stand to do better but as long as you’re working toward a goal, I can’t be mad. Just because you drive a Civic and I drive an Audi, it doesn’t mean I won’t give you a chance. But if you act like it’s a problem, it will be.
So ladies, did I miss anything? Leave me a comment and let me know!

13 comments:
Be attentive.
Yes, that's def a good one. Attentiveness is key as long as it dooesn't turn into smothering.
agreed...
and be able to flirt with me even after the first couple of months...the little touches or looks mean a lot.
Yo I dug it! Looks like a brotha is in pretty good shape which is comforting even though Ive hung up my jersey.
1. humor is def important...most ppl see me as serious in person but i like to wild out at the crib
2. i built everything in our apt
3. exactly
4. lord yes...cant stand chicks that just listen to black music and who the f*** is J Davey
5. LOL mad u called these dudes out BY BRAND NAME lol...theres some guy throwing out his whole "wardrobe" at this point
6. Variety = spice of life. U know Im allabout my RL but i just cleaned out my closet recently and counted like 73 white Ts...gotta mix it up
7. More on this on my blog later...
8. Chili Fritos is always a panty-wetter. One can Hormel chili and a bag of regular Fritos. Mix & serve.
9. Good that u have that attitude...dudes are conditioned to be ashamed of making less than 30k these days cuz most chicks are on some analog sh** like they need a sugar daddy or something.
1. Ok, where to begin. I'll start where you did. HUMOR. Agreed. I mean clearly you make us laugh by having a blog titled "husband material" with a pic of Barack Obama, only one of the most accomplished & highly achieving men ever to walk planet earth. The absurdity is hilarious! So for reciprocity sake we should be able to make u laugh as well... I think the joke here is on you. lets try bringing the expectations down just a notch or 2! lol.
2. fixing ish. clearly you should be dating your electrician. im actually working on installing 2 ceiling fans as we speak. and as it stands, it looks like im going to have to call the electrician. and not bc of my manicure (who does that) but bc this task takes real expertise. electrical fires are the leading cause of house fires. (i just made that stat up, i really have no idea) perhaps changing the oil in the car would be the more basic task, and extra credit awarded to the man that can install the fan.
3.Just bc he's taking u to a restaurant doesnt mean hes not putting u on. maybe hes putting u on to a restaurant. i myself have about a 10 restaurant rotation. It beigns with busboy & poets, includes, matchbox, marvin, creme, sequoia, proof, carlisle (in va) & and i cant tell u where it ends bc if i knew id have a girlfriend. lol. i can tell u that im hopin to incorporate something at the national harbor. still, busboys is good for dating women who live in maryland & havent been there at least 100 times. it allows us men the opportunity to weed thru without spending a fortune. im in no way cheap but remember, we gotta come outta our pocket everytime we go out, and im happy to do so, but u gotta find out where someones head is at b4 u just go spending all willy nilly. thats a just a fundamental guy rule. as an extra precaution, nowadays, they dont even get to busboys if they dont have a facebook. remember yesterday we spoke of "physical representatives!" im tired of being surprised to see her lookin a lot less hot than i did when i met her. although a few grey geese (goose plural???) on the rocks may too have had something to do with my poor judgement. lol
4. music to my ears... cosign
5.dress accordingly... i havent seen a pair of wide leg jeans in a really long time. yeah, circa 99 is about accurate. dunno who u been dating. lol
6. mix it up - cosign
7. chivalry - cosign.
8. cook - cosign. gotta have at least one go to meal. i think every guy does. i mean thats how we as men bait our prey. then after dinner, halfway into the bootleg movie we picked up earlier that day at the barbershop we offer up the massage. and as tired as it sounds, it never fails. its a great litmus test. if shes interested she'll let u administer the massage, if shes not, you may never hit it!. generally speaking, if she came over for u to cook, shes most likely interested. Btw, are you free for dinner at my place tonite. Im making terreyaki Salmon & asparagus! LMAO!!! its firday nite so we can sneak in some carbs if youd like! LOL.
9. Be secure - LMAO at the audi reference. very nice automobile if ur into second tier luxury! haha. jk... but yeah, tbh, i got more women when i first moved to dc a few years ago, taking 6 classes at a time to finish school, working full time as a bank teller & the wknds as a tour guide than i did when i got involved investing with my business partner at The Park & Love. point being, women do love ambition.
10. Clearly i have too much time on my hands! lol. this is fun. cant wait for your next rant! I mean blog! lol.
Cabral- You have to be my favorite 'commenter' of all time! I think I laughed out loud the entire time I was reading your comment. Pure comedy!
well. blogged. ku-dos.
But what's wrong with a Civic tho? lol.
*checking off items on list for a certain LB*...Oh shit did I say that shit out loud?! Wtf has come over my life?!
And you are *totally* calling out certain people. I'm dying at your Ed hardy and one label comment. Point 'em out!
I like to fix all the shit in my house, so hopefully, my man can get over it. lol
I *hate* Shaka for his "panty wetter meal." LOL! hate it!
Glad to see you're posting again. I was getting bored internet stalking you. Now you've started to peak my interest again. Love the list. Your points are dualy noted. I think I can easily check all those things off so... Where can I drop off a resume or apply/try out for a role? Thanks for sharing.
Umm. So I'm pretty sure i'm going to hell b/c I didn't add God to this list. Lord forgive me. #1 should be: Believes in God. Had to put that out there. Don't want to get struck down in church this Sunday.
Don't knock it til you've had it. G. Garvin aint got sh*t on me. I gets busy in the kitchen and the Foreman grill forget about it.
I enjoyed the read! We Leo's always know what we want! I want to add "humility" being cocky can be a turn on (but there's a time and place for that), however a modest man is even sexier!
I hate to be "THAT GIRL" but what he can do in the bedroom DOES matter. It might be cute for the first month because you like him, but after 8......they've GOTTA GET THE STIIIIZZZEEEPIN' !!! You're welcome haha ;-)
Post a Comment