On what days of the week will you find the most black women at the gym?
A. Mon, Tues, Wed
B. Wed, Thurs, Fri
C. Fri, Sat, Sun
If you picked B or C...sorry, try again. The correct answer is A. Now why A you ask?
Well, like most black women, I wash, blow dry and flat iron my hair on Thursday night (or sometimes Friday). This allows me to enjoy three days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) of clean, bouncy, touchable hair.
By Monday, my hair is starting to get greasy and not really moving like it did during the weekend. This, by default, becomes the best day to go to the gym. Hair's already shot, might as well sweat a little in the gym. Now, Tuesday and Wednesday, we usually just throw those days in because supposedly, three days a week at the gym is considered "healthy." We kind of suffer through the week wearing our hair in some variation of a ponytail (half up/ half down, bangs pinned up, sides pulled back, etc.) and look forward to Thursday night when we can start the routine all over again. Thus, Monday-Wednesday are the most "hair friendly" gym days.
So this, you see, is the reason why black women don't do the gym. It's not that we don't want to. It's just that we are (as much as we don't want to admit it) defined by our hair. We don't feel as cute, as sexy, or as happy if our hair isn't exactly right. It's the black woman's dilemma and one we think about constantly. So give us a break, we aren't all lazy. It's just that we'd rather be fat with fly hair then skinny with naps. ;)
Amen!
Now this woman is trying to "hold on" to her weekend hair for just a little while longer (although it's probably just a weave, which makes the whole working out process a little easier!)

2 comments:
Huh, I didnt know that hair delima being a white gurl ;)
Now I will have to check out your do's at work throughout the week!
ehehehe
bagle day tomorrow! You want me save you cheese one? And yes I will get you $$$$$$
I've been going to the gym for years and only recently realized that black women were underrepresented there. Yes, there are typically more men than women at the gym, but for every 20 black men I saw, I would maybe see 1 black woman.
Post a Comment